Friday, January 22, 2010

Beer vs Beer

It's Friday night, Amit and I have had a long week, Naina's sound asleep, and we're ready for some fun.

So I did what anyone with free time on a Friday night would do - I decided to taste-test some Belgian beers to see what all the hullaballoo is about.

First we started with a Chimay.

It was surprisingly refreshing. A little tingly when it first hit my tongue, then the effervescence gave way to a lively, citrusy, goodness that I just can't seem to shake.

Two thumbs up.

For those who are interested in the technical scoring, here's the complex scoring scale I used. All categories are scored on a 5-point scale.


Color: 3.5, appx the color of Newcastle or Shiner Bock, I wasn't overwhelmed by the darkness
Fizziness: 3, oooh..just right in the tingly department
Coolness of the name: 4, a pic of a glass w/ Chimay written on it was the root of the experiment
Initial Taste: 3, I just had a piece of my leftover birthday cake so a little bitter at first
Lingering Taste: 5!!!! amazing. love it. want more. lots more.

Total Score: 18.5 - C'est magnifique and I'm feeling gooooood.

Next up is the Duvel.

Hmm...not too impressed. Here's how the Duvel scored -
Color: 1.5, looks like Coors Light
Fizziness: 1, way too fizzy...I had to drink it slow to keep it from fizzing up my throat
Coolness of the name: 2, I'm neither here nor there on this one. Whatever.
Initial Taste: 4, had great promise. My tongue was hit with an almondy pleasure.
Lingering Taste: 2, the almonds turned into eyebrow twitching tartness. I'm not pleased.

Total Score: 10.5

The Verdict: Chimay might be my new favorite! No thank you to the Duvel, but I might have opened up a new door into the world of Belgian beers.


3 comments:

Karthik Vugane said...

Welcome to belgian! You wont be disappointed! Amit should've told you that the Flemish name "Duvel" means "The devil" in English. Would have helped you right before the start.

A couple of others that I can recommend - Leffe Blond of course,
- Malheur Brut Reserve
- Deus Brut des Flandres
- Gouden Carolus
- Pannepot

in that order. Happy drinking!

Anjali R said...

aahh.. thanks for the recommendations. i'm on it!! :)

Mankikars said...

Welcome, welcome!! I can see you slowly but surely moving towards the browns...My evil plan is working :)